Darwin is made up a people from all over the world. The capital of the Northern Territory, Darwin is closer to Jarkarta than it is to Sydney and closer to Singapore than it is to Melbourne, with Bali only an hour by plane away. Its no wonder that this tropical tourism highlight looks as much to asia as it does towards the rest of Australia in terms of style, lifestyle and atmosphere!
- Main Industry is Tourism
- The populations is currently approx. 1130,000 residents with an increase of around 2.6 annually
- Weather is broken up into two different seasons. The Dry season and the Wet season
- Unemployment 5.3%
- Was named after the father of the theory of evolution Charles Darwin and was founded in 1869
- Has been destroyed twice! Once by Cyclone tracey in 1974 which completed flattened the town and again in 1942 during the bombing of Darwin in the pacific war when the japanese attempted to destroy the capital.
- Is the Captial City of the Northern Territory of Australia.
- Situated on the Timor Sea.
- It is the smallest and the most northerly of the all the Australian cities.
- Darwin is closer to Bali than any of its interstate cities.
- The city itself is built on a low cliff range overlooking the harbour.
- Darwins climate is tropical consisting of two seasons; The Wet and the Dry.
- The original inhabitants of the greater Darwin area are the Larrakia people.
- John Clements Wickham named the region "Port Darwin" in honour of their former shipmate Charles Darwin.